The Nature of Angry Behavior
Angry behavior and aggression is a frequent occurrence in today’s society. Life has become faster and more complicated. The level of stress has risen significantly. Hundreds of triggers are surrounding people – on the street, at school, in the office, in media, in social chains and all other possible channels. Even people who do not have cognitive or mental health issues can sometimes feel that they need help with anger control.
Anger is a problem that should not be ignored. Anger and aggression can destroy relationships and life-plans. They are dangerous for the person that shows angry behavior and for people around.
Aggressive behavior can be caused by internal or external events. Frustration, injustices or loss of something important, financial and relationship issues – this all can lead to the rise of an emotional degree from the slight irritation to strong rage. People with bulling behaviors, violent offenders and individuals who feel too much pressure and stress suffer from the destroying effects of anger.
Anger is one of the most powerful human emotions that can be helpful and harmful at the same time. Anger helps us to defend our values and inspires us to act for change. One of the most important life skills is to be able to recognize anger and express it in an appropriate way. Psychology points out that suppressed anger is the reason for depression and anxiety.
Writing a Behavior Change Essay about Anger Management
Anger management can help to change attitude and behavior. At the beginning of your essay, provide some thesis on why anger is a problem. What could be the consequences for a person if he or she does not take the help of psychology professionals or therapy?
There are many researches on the topic of emotional intelligence (EQ), behavior improvement and anger management. One of the most famous and full reports on EQ is Daniel Goleman’s book “Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ”.
If it is not a clinical case, a person can use self-help to improve the emotional condition. Anger management therapy provides a variety of simple and effective techniques – self-awareness, relaxation, meditation and focused breathing, impulse control, etc. To manage frustration the psychology specialists recommend writing a diary. It can also help to recognize this emotion and control the impulse. Reflecting on the topic, we can find patterns and built an activity plan for behavior change.
Steps to Manage Anger for Behavior Change Essay
- Self-check. This means we need to learn to recognize signs and signals of anger and use one of the anger management therapy techniques to prevent the escalation of emotion.
- Situation reframing. Instead of focusing on things that make you angry, try to think of the positive side of a person or situation.
- Find names for your emotions. It is an integral part of emotional intelligence development. It helps to recognize anger and manage it.
- Identify your anger triggers. It will help to build a plan on how to avoid them.
- Express anger in an appropriate way. Unexpressed emotions are harmful. Some people take the help of active sports.
- “Internal Policeman”. This is a self-control technique that helps to catch bad thoughts and change the topic.
- Relaxation exercises. Help to calm down and restore the emotional balance.
- Cognitive restructuring. Changing the way we usually think.
- Humor. Imagine funny objects and heroes instead of people and things that make you angry.
- Change the environment. Sometimes we could be surrounded by people who are not positive. Try to find those who you will be glad to spend time with.
- Use focused breathing and meditation. This helps to regain control over our emotions.
- Ask for help from people who care. Trusted friends, relatives, and colleagues can help us to manage anger and improve behavior.
Anger management requires systematic training and the use of therapy techniques. The start point is self-awareness that helps us to reflect and take actions to improve our behavior and mental health.